Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player





The history of Banja Koviljaca is very rich, dating back to the Iliric period, followed by the occupation of the area by the Ancient Romans, and later the Turks. In the first written records dating back to 1533, it is stated that hordes of people visited these healthy springs.  The first facility that offered accommodation was comprised of ten rooms and was built in 1858. Since 1867, during the rule of Mihailo Obrenovic, Banja Koviljaca was under the protection of the state.  On August 1st, 1898, the National Assembly granted the governance of Banja Koviljaca to the people of the Podrinje Region, an event which marked the beginning of the construction and development of Banja Koviljaca. From that time on, up until the Second World War and with only brief interruptions, the period of extensive development and full acclaim of Banja Koviljaca commenced, and this spa resort, named Pearl of Podrinje Region, became not only a modern treatment center but also a fashionable meeting place for the Serbian upper-class.
Dositej Obradovic (a famous Serbian literate and a great scholar) and Vuk Karadzic (a famous Serbian linguist and a major reformer of the Serbian language), among many others, admired the beauties of Banja Koviljaca and Karadjordje, a Serbian ruler, found here the ideal place for healing his wounds.  Luxurious balls held here were attended by the Serbian king, Aleksandar Karadjordjevic.
Banja Koviljaca became a spa resort and treatment center during the reign of King Petar I Karadjordjevic who built the modern sulphuric bath near his residential palace.
During the 1920’s and 1930’s, the construction of Banja Koviljaca was completed. Luxurious hotels and villas were built and a beautifully designed park connecting all of the spa’s structures. The facility of fascinating beauty called “Kur-Salon” has been the place for amusement since 1939, and the lavishness of its interior still reflects the spirit of past times.  The first gambling house in the Balkans was opened in “Kur-Salon”.